NEWS UPDATE – Today the team received final permit from authorities to access the nature reserve west of Svalbard. The area is only accessible by boat roughly 3h west of Longyearbyen. Progress since last update:
- Plan for 60/40/30/20m as main bands with VDA and verticals, but will also have a Spanish Quad on 17/15/12/10m.
- Plan for 4-5 stations with Elecraft K3/Kx3 and 1000W amplifiers which includes in-band operation and all modes CW/SSB/FT8.
- Extended the security and will bring two Huskies for added polar bear protection in addition to one person on duty 24/7.
- Team need an expensive mandatory SAR ensurance. This adds to the expenses so budget is going up to $16000.
APRIL 22, 2021 – Team of 5-6 operators from LA will activate Prins Karls Forland island which is part of EU-063 Svalbard’s Coastal Islands in July 2021 (20 yrs since last activation). One week tent and generator trip.
- Call: JW0W
- Activity July 21/7 to 26/7.
- Band: Focus on 40/30/20m; other bands if propagation allows.
- Participation in RSGB IOTA contest.
Operators: LB1QI, LB2HG, LA7GIA, LA7QIA, LA8OM. Outside contest focus will be NA/Asia. VDA antennas and verticals next to saltwater, 1 kW amplifiers.
Radio: Elecraft K3, Kx3, TS590. Amplifier: Expert 1.3 and Juma 1000.
Donations appreciated via [email protected]
QSL via Charles M0OXO. OQRS Direct, OQRS Bureau and Direct QSL.
Full log to be uploaded to LoTW.